Tuesday 5 February 2008

Australia Man Road Trip 06 - 07

November 06 saw me heading to Australia for travel and work. Here I met up with Camo, Ben and Jau (past team members from USA and CA trip) in Perth for a spot of snorkelling, surfing and yet another "ROAD TRIP!!!" So from Perth we drove to Melbourne.


Perth has an amazing coastline, just South of the city (Penguin Island's) you can combine sea kayaking with snorkelling and can even dive through limestone caves. Protected fishing areas show a noticeable increase in fish and sea life. The Aussies just find fish too tasty.


Pier posts do not look like this in the UK!!


I tried my chances in my kayak off this reef break where one wave was enough to give me a beating I wish not to receive ever again. I should have listened to the pre warning from a local surfer who had never seen kayaks at this break before. He asked if we had helmets, we said yes, he said wear two.



The Great Ocean Bite just off the Nullabor. Part of the Nullabor has the longest straight section of road in the world at 146km (I think), this then takes a slight bend into another straight section of 96km + the rest. All there was to see was shrubs and road kill. The highlight of the Nullabor was a giant headless kangaroo sunbathing on his back, legs akimbo showing his giant testicles.


Closer to Melbourne is the Great Ocean Road displaying coastline like this shown above. Soon the surf breaks started appearing, but when we went to the infamous Bell's beach, I had seen bigger ripples on a duck pond.
After spending Christmas at Ben's house, Camo, Jau and I flew to NZ for 3 weeks of boating.

No comments: